Home » Campus News Latest » Obituaries » Carlton Edward Wheeler ‘50

“For me Antioch was marvelous. I was among other young people with whom I felt I belonged. In high school I had felt as somewhat of an outsider but Antioch was where I belonged.”

Born June 14, 1923 in Elmira Heights, New York, to Margaret and Irvine Wheeler, Carlton Wheeler passed away in 2021.

Carlton graduated from Elmira’s Thomas A. Edison High school in 1941. He subsequently worked as a machinist before briefly attending Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, then transferred to Antioch College in Ohio in August 1942.

As was the case for many college men during the War years, Carlton’s studies were interrupted by military service. He enrolled in the US Army and was assigned to the Transportation Corps, shipping out from New York City to Britain on the Queen Elizabeth, arriving in Scotland on D-Day, June 6th, 1941.

His assignment venues included London, Paris and Frankfurt.  He returned stateside in 1946 and resumed chemistry studies at Antioch College.

After graduation in 1950 Carlton worked at Dicks-Pontius (now DAP) in Dayton, married Anne “Mitzi” Wilson ‘52, and in 1957 started a plastics manufacturing company, Interex, in Puerto Rico.

He and his family moved to Massachusetts in 1966. He returned to Puerto Rico ca. 1972. In 1991 he retired to Redmond, Oregon, where he spent much of his time lathe-turning rare woods into pepper grinders.

He is survived by his three adult children Scott ‘74, David and Elizabeth and four grandchildren, Augusto, Louie, Joan and Catherine. and Augusto’s daughter Gitana.

CAMPUS NEWS