For the coming year, Antioch College will be your new home away from home. The rooms in both North Hall and Birch Hall are newly renovated, and come equipped with the basics: a bed, desk, chair and a dresser/closet for each resident. Because Antioch promotes sustainable ways of living, you will have a roommate unless otherwise notified.
Because Co-op will require you to move frequently during your Antioch career, we recommended that you keep it simple. Everything you bring must ﬁt in your room while you are on campus and ﬁt within a storage box (approx. 3’h x 2’w x 2’d) while you are away from campus during Co-op quarters. (Additional space is available for bike storage. You are welcome to secure additional storage at local storage center at your own expense.)
What you must bring:
- Proof of health insurance: The College requires every student to have health insurance. If you are not covered by the time you arrive, you will be required to sign up for student health insurance.
- Two forms of original identification: A driver’s license, passport, social security card, birth certificate, state ID are acceptable forms of ID.
Here are some things you may want to bring:
- Towels and washcloths
- Extra-long twin sheets, fitted and cover, pillowcase, pillow, blanket/comforter
- Sleeping bag
- Clothing for all seasons
- Personal medications and prescriptions
- Toiletry items (contact lens solution, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)
- Photos of family and friends, artwork, rug- to make it like home
- Desk lamp and alarm clock
- Music, musical instruments, games (board, video, and other), crafting and art supplies etc.
- Storage bin
- Notepads, pens, pencils, highlighters and other office supplies for classes
- Laptop computer
- All the cords for your electronics
- Clothes hangers
- Bicycle w/lock and safety gear (a basket or crate is also helpful)
- Roller skates and safety gear
- Skateboard (there is a skate park in town)
- Work gloves (for the Farm)
- Umbrella and rain boots
- Hiking boots (for the Glen)
- Large travel mug (with a lid)
- Reusable water bottle to fill up in the dining hall on your way to class
- Reusable to-go container for taking your meals outside the dining hall
- A supply of laundry detergent, and laundry basket
- Small broom, dustpan and cleaning wipes (you’ll need these for room cleanliness checks)
- Acceptable wall mounting materials: Scotch Brand Removable Mounting Putty and 3M Command Brand Hanging Strips & Hooks*
What you CANNOT bring:
- Air conditioners
- Deep fryers
- Grills (gas and electric)
- Halogen lamps
- Hibachis powered by propane
- Oil Lamps
- Space heaters
- Smoke machines
- Unprescribed or illegal drugs
- Weapons (including firearms, BB guns, pellet guns, knives, etc.)
- Any appliances with an open heating coil or element (e.g., hot plates, electric skillet and coffee coils) are absolutely prohibited because they are fire hazards.
- Due to limited space and health/safety reasons, students are discouraged from bringing in additional furnishings.
Only heavy duty, fusible, multi-outlet strips are permitted (look for U/L symbol). Antioch College encourages sustainable ways of living. As such, we discourage bringing small refrigerators due to energy use. There are refrigerators and simple kitchenettes available on each floor for storing food and simple cooking.
**Please refer to the Student Policies https://antiochcollege.edu/about/policies-and-procedures for additional details.
Don’t hesitate to be in touch with the office of Admission if you have questions about anything on this list.
Admission and Financial Aid Team