HERNDON EXHIBITIONS/HERNDON WINDOWS
October 23, 2020 - March 23, 2021
Herndon windows is a multi-disciplinary, multimedia project that seeks to respond to the current state of isolation and lack of access to public art spaces due to the global pandemic.
- The plan is to activate the windows of the Herndon gallery with work that spans many disciplines within the Arts, including visual, media, and performance art, as well as any hybrid/cross-disciplinary approach participants might be interested in presenting.
- There are eight windows on the lower level of the gallery and eight windows on the mezzanine. All are available, but in the case of performance, the gallery would restrict the number of people to four simultaneously in order to adhere to COVID occupancy protocols.
- The project will evolve in a series of interventions, the first being video and multimedia work projected into cloth coverings on each window. These will start simply, the idea is to first bring attention to the windows through simple use of color and words.
- One possibility for the next part of the project is to collaborate with the Antioch College Correspondence School project and solicit anonymous submissions, asking people to respond with their dreams and desires while experiencing the impact of the coronavirus.
- What do you wish for?
- What do you miss?
- What do you want to see come out of this experience that is so new and so foreign to all of us?
- For performance, we will construct curtained off areas in front of the Gallery side of the windows, with simple lighting and audio support.
- The audio will be installed in such a way as to allow the people on the outside looking in to hear the performer if this is needed. Simultaneous performance will be encouraged, and we will ask that those interested in presenting this form consider the ways in which performances might overlap with one another due to proximity in the space. Another possibility is multi-window collaborative works. We will soon produce a call for works and this will include a list of the types of work possible and the specific conditions under which the varying types of submissions will be exhibited.
- For Visual Art, works will be presented much in the same way the viewer would encounter it in a traditional gallery setting, except in this case, they are outside looking in. There could be single-person exhibitions or group shows. Artists interested in this type of exhibition would present their ideas via an open artist call.
- The plan is to have this as an ongoing project for the entire year, with scheduled interruptions based on other exhibitions and projects that will be taking place within the gallery. Herndon Gallery is currently in the process of solidifying a schedule for the entire academic year.
This project is open to the entire Antioch Community as well as to artists from the village and beyond. One of the intentions of this project is to continue to make the gallery and the work it presents visible to a larger audience, drawing from our immediate community within the college as well as artists from other spaces. In order to extend our call, we will be collaborating with the Yellow Springs Arts Commission to solicit artists for this exhibition. This project will be featured on the Herndon Gallery web page as well as on our social media sites. We will soon be releasing an artist call that will include a calendar of exhibition dates and times. Please stay tuned for further information about this project.