Position Summary:The assistant chef is a primary food preparation and service role. The assistant chef acts as “person in charge” when in the kitchen and is responsible for day to day functioning of the kitchen during their shifts. This position is an “essential” position meaning when students are on campus the position is required to work even when other areas of the campus are closed. A distinct passion for food and utilizing local, seasonal ingredients is important in this role.
Join an amazing community and dedicated team of higher education professionals building a new kind of college. Antioch College is a small, private liberal arts institution in Yellow Springs, OH, with a distinct approach to transformative education through its signature classroom-coop-community model. Our small student body is broadly diverse, coming from all over the United States. Over a quarter of our students are first-generation college students almost half are domestic students of color, three-quarters are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, and over 80% identify within the LGBTQIA+ community. At Antioch, we are cultivating a culture of care and inclusion that will set a precedent for higher education institutions moving into the future. Antioch has a long history of being a beacon of progressive thought in the United States. We were founded by abolitionists in 1852 and reopened as an independent college in 2010. Our dedicated alumni match our current students’ tenacity to solve some of our society’s most pressing challenges.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Oversee all kitchen and front of the house functions during assigned shifts
- Complete advance food preparation for meals
- Modify meals to specific allergies and food preferences when applicable
- Anticipate food availability and rotation of menus and inventory
- Support the completion and execution of
- Monitor workers to ensure employee safety and guest safety by closely followed Ohio Health codes
- Provide kitchen service when other campus departments are closed due to unexpected
- Contribute to weekly menu
- Butcher meat
- Bake breads/baked goods and fabricate dough
- Stock and maintain the salad bar during meal periods
- Setup and maintain the food service line during meal periods
- Maintain the kitchen and dining areas to meet professional cleanliness standards
- Create daily/weekly cleaning lists and accomplish established objectives
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen at-large and kitchen equipment including storage units, floors and food preparation stations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the dining area; tables, chairs, floors, supply stations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the dishwashing area
- Maintain the organization and integrity of supply and material handling, and inventory
- Check in deliveries, ensure accurate and quality deliveries
- Put away deliveries and organize stock in a timely manner
- Monitor stock, use produce in a timely manner, check for freshness and discard items when appropriate
- Restock the front of the house in support of professional service
- Process support paperwork for kitchen operations appropriately
- Assist in management and mentoring of student employees:
- Reinforce student training in proper prep techniques, knife skills, tasting and cleaning skills
- Ensure time sheet work times, (in/out times and breaks) are accurately recorded, initial each shift
- Assign work responsibilities and ensure time is being well utilized
- Manage 1-3 student employees per shift
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- When Antioch students are not on campus, kitchen staff may be re-
- 24 months food service experience or relatable schooling
- Proven attention to detail in operating a work area; cleanliness, inventory status,
- Servsafe level 1 certification
- Front and back of the house experience
- Two years of experience managing people, preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
- Must be able to stand continuously for up to three hours at a time, multiple times during an eight hour shift
- Must be able to lift, shift, move, and/or carry up to 40 pounds, with or without assistance
- Must be able to repeatedly bend, twist, and/or stretch down, out, over, and to the side to lift, grasp, stir, adjust, move, or similar during eight hour shift
- Must be able to exert force through arms and hands repeatedly and continually for 30 minutes at a time such as during slicing or stirring
- Must have manual dexterity to enable grasping, carrying, and using standard industrial kitchen tools
- Must be able to safely use knives and other kitchen equipment repeatedly and continually for extended periods of time during eight hour shift.
- Ability to walk moderate distances, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Servsafe level 1 or equivalent within 90 days of hire
- Most work occurs indoors in an industrial kitchen setting with temperature extremes associated with food preparation and high volume dishwashing
- Narrow work spaces with other people and equipment that may be at extreme temperatures
- Exposure to cleaning solvents
- Exposure to hot and cold liquids, materials, and gas
- Exposure to potential food allergens including but not limited to tree nuts, nuts, wheat, seafood, soy, eggs and dairy
- Moderate noise as found in high-volume kitchen setting
- Visiting the Antioch Farm and other partner farms requires being outdoors in all seasons/weather
- Position operates both in an office space and kitchen/dining area, and regularly moves about campus and in other locations during all seasons and weather to engage with vendors and similar and to attend functions associated with Antioch College.
About Antioch College…
Antioch College was founded as a new kind of American college, a place where students seek to “win victories for humanity” and engage in real-world problem solving in the classroom, campus and community, and through our renowned cooperative education program. Through participatory learning and work-based education, students develop and put their ideas into practice. Guided by talented teachers and mentors, students own their education through a robust Self-Designed Major program that encourages students to explore the transdisciplinary spaces within and between the humanities, sciences, arts, and social sciences.
Antioch College embraces diversity as a core value, and considers it fundamental to excellence in education. We are an educational community dedicated to the pursuit of social justice that intentionally and consistently supports diverse and inclusive practices. We seek candidates who can contribute to Antioch’s mission through curricular development and innovation that fosters social justice, cultural competencies and understanding of diversity.
Antioch College is located in the village of Yellow Springs, Ohio – a vibrant progressive community nestled between two nature preserves. Yellow Springs is located 55 miles from the fast-growing city of Columbus, Ohio, and 30 miles from the Dayton metro area.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title in the subject line and submit in one attachment in Word or PDF format the following application materials:
- Cover letter.
- A resume detailing your positions and relevant experience.
- Three professional references who are familiar with your work and who will speak with Antioch College about your capabilities (will not be contacted without your permission). Provide their contact information including name, association with you, telephone number, and email address.
Your application will not be reviewed unless all application materials are received.
Electronic applications are preferred. Alternatively, you may send the same information by U.S. mail to:
Office of Human Resources
One Morgan Place
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
If you submitted application materials, we welcome you to fill out our Equal Employment Opportunity Voluntary Self-Identification Form here:
Antioch College is an equal opportunity employer; the College offers employment, advancement opportunities and benefits in a harassment-free environment on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competency to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender identity, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation or covered veteran status. Candidates who can contribute to Antioch’s commitment to diversity and its evolving multilingual culture are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com