Position Summary:The Chef is a lead position in the Kitchen, aiding in day to day operations. The chef acts as “person in charge” when in the kitchen and is responsible for day to day functioning of the kitchen during their shifts. This position is an “essential” position meaning when students are on campus the position is required to work even when other areas of the campus are closed. A distinct passion for food and utilizing local, seasonal ingredients is important in this role. Responsibilities of this position may develop over time as the program expands.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (RESPONSIBILITIES) OF THE POSITION:
- Manages the proteins used for each meal: pulling, rotating, and designating their use.
- Designates produce, products and leftovers to Assistant Chef’s for their meals (as needed)
- Helps with information flow and communication in the Kitchen
- Works with the Manager on ordering and menus
- Works with Leader on bulk meat purchase of whole animals
- Oversee all kitchen and front of the house functions during assigned shifts
- Complete advance food preparation for meals
- Modify meals to specific allergies and food preferences when applicable
- Anticipate food availability and rotation of menus and inventory
- Support the completion and execution of meals.
- Monitor workers to ensure employee safety and guest safety by closely followed Ohio Health codes; Alert Manager if an issue arises
- Provide kitchen service when other campus departments are closed due to unexpected situations.
- Contribute to weekly menu
- Butcher meat
- Bake breads/baked goods and fabricate dough
- Stock and maintain the salad bar during meal periods
- Setup and maintain the food service line during meal periods
- Maintain the kitchen and dining areas to meet professional cleanliness standards
- Create daily/weekly cleaning lists and accomplish established objectives
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen at-large and kitchen equipment including storage units, floors and food preparation stations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the dining area; tables, chairs, floors, supply stations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the dishwashing area
- Maintain the organization and integrity of supply and material handling, and inventory
- Check in deliveries, ensure accurate and quality deliveries
- Put away deliveries and organize stock in a timely manner
- Monitor stock, use produce in a timely manner, check for freshness and discard items when appropriate
- Restock the front of the house in support of professional service
- Process support paperwork for kitchen operations appropriately
- Assist in management and mentoring of student employees:
- Reinforce student training in proper prep techniques, baking, knife skills, tasting and cleaning skills
- Assign work responsibilities and ensure time is being well utilized
- Attend and participate in staff meetings
- Attend Community Meetings, when possible
- 24 months food service experience or relatable schooling
- Proven attention to detail in operating a work area; cleanliness, inventory status, etc.
- Servsafe level 1 certification
- Front and back of the house experience
- Two years of experience managing people, preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
- Must be able to stand continuously for up to three hours at a time, multiple times during an eight hour shift
- Must be able to lift, shift, move, and/or carry up to 40 pounds, with or without assistance
- Must be able to repeatedly bend, twist, and/or stretch down, out, over, and to the side to lift, grasp, stir, adjust, move, or similar during eight hour shift
- Must be able to exert force through arms and hands repeatedly and continuously for 30 minutes at a time such as during slicing or stirring
- Must have manual dexterity to enable grasping, carrying, and using standard industrial kitchen tools
- Must be able to safely use knives and other kitchen equipment repeatedly and continually for extended periods of time during an eight hour shift.
- Ability to walk moderate distances, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Servsafe Manager Certification within 90 days of hire
- Most work occurs indoors in an industrial kitchen setting with temperature extremes associated with food preparation and high volume dishwashing
- Narrow work spaces with other people and equipment that may be at extreme temperatures
- Exposure to cleaning solvents
- Exposure to hot and cold liquids, materials, and gas
- Exposure to potential food allergens including but not limited to tree nuts, nuts, wheat, seafood, soy, eggs and dairy
- Moderate noise as found in high-volume kitchen setting
- Visiting the Antioch Farm and other partner farms requires being outdoors in all seasons/weather
- Position operates both in an office space and kitchen/dining area, and regularly moves about campus and in other locations during all seasons and weather to engage with vendors and similar and to attend functions associated with Antioch College.
Application materials for this position will be accepted until an appointment is made or the position is canceled.
To apply, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title in the subject line and submit in one attachment in Word or PDF format the following Application Materials:
- A cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the position,
- A resume/vitae detailing your work history, relevant experience, and education,
- Three professional references who are familiar with your work and who will speak with Antioch about your capabilities. Provide their contact information including name, association with you, telephone number, and email address.
Your application will not be reviewed unless all application materials are received.
Electronic applications are preferred. Alternatively, you may send the same information by US mail:
Office of Human Resources
One Morgan Place
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
Antioch College is an equal opportunity employer; the College offers employment, advancement opportunities and benefits in a harassment-free environment on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competency to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender identity, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation or covered veteran status. Candidates who can contribute to Antioch’s commitment to diversity and its evolving multilingual culture are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com