Yellow Springs News
Freelance Reporter and/or Photographer
The Yellow Springs News is looking for a freelance reporter and/or photographer to help produce high-quality journalism for our community.
The reporter position involves participating in weekly editorial meetings, interviewing subjects, writing original 1,000 to 1,200 word news or feature stories, and taking original photographs. The photographer position involves participating in weekly editorial meetings, taking original photographs, interviewing subjects and preparing original photo essays with accompanying cutlines.
Both positions require the submission of a story or photo essay by a weekly deadline, with the material subject to rounds of editing. Freelance reporters and/or photographers are paid by the amount of hours it takes to complete a print-ready submission, with 10–15 hours per week estimated per submission, in addition to hours spent in editorial or other meetings.
Other positions or additional hours may be available, in consultation with the News. For instance, those interested in digital media may participate in digital product development and website team meetings, while those with historical or archival interests may be paid to help organize and digitize archives.
About the YS News
Founded in 1880, the YS News is an award-winning, independent, weekly newspaper that serves Yellow Springs and beyond with timely, accurate and essential information to keep the government accountable, promote civic engagement, celebrate village life, and preserve local history. Its mission is to create journalism anchored in integrity, accountability and transparency.
Miller Fellowships are offered to the following individuals:
- A full-time, degree-seeking student in good standing at a Greene County college or university with a preference towards an Antioch College student
- A high school student who is a resident of Yellow Springs/Miami Township or an attendee at Yellow Springs High School; high school Miller Fellows must be 16 years old or older.
- A resident of Yellow Springs/Miami Township under the age of 25 in a gap year before or during college or home for a vacation period
- Students must have completed the YSCF’s Nonprofit Leadership Institute (NLI) or apply and complete the next available NLI during their employment.
- The identified Miller Fellow can be a current employee of the nonprofit if they meet the requirements above.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com