You must be a registered Antioch College student to be eligible for this position.
Essential Responsibilities of the Position:
The editor works with interested community members to regularly produce a newspaper reflecting current events of the Community. The editor will responsibly steward the resources of the paper and assert and uphold the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics for newspaper staff and associated content providers.
1. Manage story assignments and pitches
2. Track critical issues on Antioch College’s campus with in-depth reporting driven by multiple interviews, data research, document review, and meeting coverage.
3. Direct layout staff regarding overall aesthetic Maintain relationships with critical parties across the community ensuring both access and appropriate distance
4. Assume financial responsibility of the operation, including: -Supervision of the use and maintenance of all Record equipment and archives -Attendance at ComCil Budget Committee meetings as necessary -Solicitation of advertisements from town businesses -Solicitation of donations from alumni through the Annual Fund -Supervision of Record staff payment through advertising and donation funds
5. To attend Community Meeting and ComCil. The editor is allowed in closed session ComCil meetings, except on issues of personnel, but is not permitted to report on the details of conduct.
6. To expand the scope of the Record’s reporting to cover all aspects of College life including Faculty meetings, Alumni Board meetings, and meetings of the Board of Trustees to the extent possible.
7. To produce the Record as often as possible (up to weekly) given personnel and financial circumstances and ensure high standards of journalism (as articulated in The Record mission statement), including: -supervision of the Record staff and volunteers -making editorial decisions -getting copies of each issue to Antiochiana -maintaining electronic copies in the Record office -updating the Record webpages -ensuring adequate distribution of the paper
8. To be responsible for an orderly and accessible office with regular, posted office hours.
9. To take an active role in the training and orientation of the editor(s) hired for the following term, including the keeping and updating and transition documents to be passed from editor to editor.
10. Convene the first meeting of the Record Advisory Board (RAB), actively solicit RAB members, and regularly attend RAB.
11. To handle any other tasks necessary to keep the Record running, and to add those tasks to this job description alongside RAB, when necessary.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Must be a registered student
Journalism and/or layout experience highly preferred.
A strong code of ethics and responsibility to community.
A passion for the record and/or print journalism.
No conflicts of interest (such as employment with Communications, etc.)
Required Physical Abilities:
Able to sit for prolonged periods of time
Able to focus on computer tasks for prolonged periods of time
Able to lift up to 25 pounds
Movement within and across a historic residential campus
Position works extensively in an office environment; seated or standing and utilizing standard office equipment such as networked computers, telephones, copiers, fax machines
Indoor office environment; heated and cooled institutionally
Occasional requirement to move around campus and in other locations, indoors and outdoors, over paved and rough terrain experiencing local temperature and weather variations
Number of Positions Available (per term):
Hours per Week: 10-20 hrs/week
Term Position is Available:
Fall, Winter, Spring; Winter Living, Summer Living
Immediate Supervisor Name:
To apply, send email to email@example.com with the following Application Material.
Include the position title in subject line.
In the body of the email answer the following questions:
What is your Class Schedule?
What hours are you available to work?
What year are you?
Have you worked on campus before?
Submit your resume detailing your work history and relevant experience as an attachment in Word or PDF format.
Antioch College is an equal opportunity employer; the College offers employment, advancement opportunities and benefits in a harassment-free environment on the basis of merit, qualifications and competency to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation or covered veteran status. Candidates who can contribute to Antioch’s commitment to diversity and its evolving multilingual culture are encouraged to apply.