Select Page
Home » Campus News Latest » Obituaries » John F. Allen ’59

John Fletcher Allen was born on April 12, 1932 in Elat, Ebolowa, Cameroon, West Africa in a major hospital run by the Presbyterian Church.

His father, James Blaine Allen, who was an architect, had designed and built many of the buildings on the hospital grounds. John was baptized in Yollandi in a church also built by his father. This church has a stained glass window designed by his father which portrayed the Bible verse “Suffer the little children to come unto me…”

John’s father and mother, Annie Mary Faulkner Allen, were assigned to start a new mission station in Olama where, along with other structures, his father built a church with a graveyard. When John was six months old his father took his sister Barbara, then two years old, on a trip to inspect new construction. This required rafting across a river. John’s father was bitten by a poisonous insect and by the time he arrived home the poison was spreading through his body. He died shortly thereafter and was buried in the cemetery he created.

John’s mother returned with her children to Chicago, Illinois, to be with family. Given an opportunity to become treasurer for the mission in the Cameroon, which was comprised of nine stations and four hospitals, his mother with Barbara (aged 9) and John (aged 7) returned to Africa in 1939. They remained there until 1943.

Traveling home was adventurous and included being part of a French Foreign Legion expedition (with prisoners in tow), taking a river boat down the Ubongi River (and other boat trips), riding on a train to Cape Town (with a stop for three days at Victoria Falls), catching a ride on an Argentine freighter to South America and finally flying on Pan American Airline flights to Chicago. This trip took three months and eighteen days.

John attended Lafayette College, Antioch College, and Fairleigh Dickinson University where he received a BS degree. Drafted prior to completing his education, John served in the Army from 1952 to 1954. He was active in the Korean conflict, spending sixteen months on or above the front line, both prior to and after the truce.

He was awarded the Bronze Star and twice received the Combat Infantry Badge, of which he was most proud. When asked about his army experience John would say they were the worst two years of my life, but they made me grow up.

John worked for a few companies prior to being employed by the Westvaco Company, Park Avenue, NYC, as an expert in logistics and inventory control (warehousing).

As a member and treasurer of the Logistics Association, he helped build this organization which included funding for a scholarship program.

John married his wife Nancy in 1958 and had two sons, David and Bruce. With a lifelong love of travel and boating it was natural to combine the two. Family trips were always a highlight of each year. There was the drive around Lake Michigan and pitching the tent at a new campsite each night, the drive cross country and an amazing adventure to England, Scotland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. But, somehow, his boat would always find its way to Lake George, NY, with the family sometimes camping on the islands and, later on, staying at the Wedding Cake House or the Sagamore Hotel. But it was not just the big things, John was there for his boys daily events: Indian Guides, Boy Scouts and band concerts.

When David and Bruce grew up he welcomed his two daughter-in-laws to the family, Katherine and Lorna. John was excited to be a grandfather to three grandchildren, Bruce, Sarah, and Frederick, whom he considered wonderful. He was so proud of them and their talents. John and Nancy celebrated their 50th anniversary by taking the family to Disney World and on their cruise.

After moving to New Jersey in 1961. John and family lived in the Benjamin Griggs house on Canal Road, Griggstown prior to moving to Montgomery Township. He embraced both communities and was involved in their organizations. As a member of the Griggstown Reformed Church he served as a Deacon Elder (VP of Consistory) and as treasurer of their memorial fund. John served a term as president of the Griggstown Fire Company and co-chaired their Memorial Day parade for twelve years. He was honored with a life membership. As president of the Griggstown Historical Society (16 years) he wrote a number of grants that restored the 1830 School House (the Society’s headquarters) to its original appearance. During his tenure four documentaries were produced, with “Historic Griggstown Then and Now” winning a prestigious Telly Award. John was an active board member of the Van Harlingen Historical Society, the Raritan Millstone Heritage Alliance and the Griggstown Cemetery Association. He was also involved with the creation of the Millstone Valley Scenic Byway. He also served on a Montgomery Township committee. With all these activities, John also found time for tennis and skiing with friends.

After a 7 year battle with cancer, John died on July 21, 2019 and leaves behind his wife Nancy and his sons and families, David and wife Katherine and daughter Sarah, son Bruce and sons Bruce and Frederick, sister Barbara Blackwell and daughter Regina Ann Blackwell, Sarah Blackwell and husband Jose Ramon Malagon and daughter Erica and other family and friends. A memorial service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Griggstown Reformed Church Memorial Fund or the Montgomery Emergency Rescue Services.