Pre-Medical and Pre-Health
Do you want to take a holistic approach to healing and community health?
A wide variety of medical professions, including dental, medical, nurse practitioner, pharmacy, physician’s assistant, veterinary, and more all require a similar core education. Students interested in these opportunities are advised to pursue the Bachelor of Science degree.
Who is this for?
While students interested in this track will complete a degree heavy with coursework in biology, they must also develop a broad understanding of chemistry, mathematics, physics, psychology, and sociology in order to be most successful, in addition to more specialized areas particular to each future profession. Please contact our pre-medical and pre-health advisors for further information.
What You’ll Study
- BIO 101 Principles of Biology
- BIO 220 Introductory Molecular Biology and Genetics
- BIO 230 General Microbiology
- BIO 370 Advanced Molecular Cell Biology
- CHEM 105 General Chemistry I + Lab
- CHEM 160 General Chemistry II + Lab
- CHEM 205 Organic Chemistry I + Lab
- CHEM 330 Organic Chemistry II + Lab
- CHEM 340 Biochemistry
Cooperative Education Field Placements
Cardiology Practice of Timothy Sanborn MD, Northshore University Healthcare System in Chicago
L’hopital Philippe Maguilene Senghor in Dakar, Senegal
Pharmacy Technician, Town Drug, Yellow Springs, OH
Physical Therapy Clinics at Kettering Health Network
Premier Health Advanced Illness Management Program at Premier Health Fidelity Health Care in Dayton, OH
Outpatient Gastroenterology Practice at University of Cincinnati Medical Center
Radiation Oncology in the office of Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein, Sheba Medical Center in Tel HaShomer, Israel
Naloxone Saves Lives: Ziegler ’22 at Greene County Public Health in Xenia, Ohio
Nutritious Activities: Pate ’24 at CareSource in Dayton, Ohio
Compassionate Care: Watkins ’24 at Visiting Angels in Sacramento, California
More Than Running Calls: Ebaugh ’24 at Miami Township Fire Rescue in Miami Township, Ohio
Discovering Healing: Coffman ’24 at Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats in Hawi, Hawaii
Moments in Mumbai with a Pediatric Neurologist: Nidalmia ’22 at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital
Notable Health and Medical Alumni
- Barbara Almond (B.S. 1959), psychiatrist and psychoanalyst
- Mario Capecchi (B.S. 1961), co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2007
- Don Clark (1953), clinical psychologist, author
- George W. Comstock (1937), physician, public health expert, lead researcher in seminal studies demonstrating the effectiveness of isoniazid for treating latent tuberculosis infection
- Sheena Hill (2005), psychotherapist and parenting coach. Founder of Parenting Works.
- Richard Pillard (1955), professor of psychiatry at Boston University; first openly gay psychiatrist in the U.S.