Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Assistant Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Dr. Scott Millen is a biochemist who specializes in the interface of pathogenic bacteria with the human immune system. He is also developing interests in using microorganisms for sustainable fuel production and carbon sequestration. Scott teaches courses in biology focusing on the cell and molecular level. In his free time, Scott enjoys spending time with his family, home brewing, fixing things, and developing his property for permaculture. Prior to joining Antioch College, Scott was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Miami University in Oxford, OH, where he taught microbiology and infectious disease courses.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry & Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- B.Sc. in Biological Sciences, University of Cincinnati McMicken College of Arts & Sciences, Cincinnati, OH
- BIO 105 Life: Cells and Molecules
- BIO 205 Genetics
- BIO 215 Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIO 230 General Microbiology
- CHEM 341 Biochemistry I: Structure and Function of Biological Molecules
- CHEM 342 Biochemistry II: Intermediary Metabolism
- SH Millen, M Watanabe, E Komatsu, F Yamaguchi, Y Nagasawa, E Suzuki, H Monaco, and AA Weiss. Single nucleotide polymorphism of pertussis toxin subunit S2 (ptxB) affect protein function. PLOS ONE 10(9):e0137379 Sept 16 (2015).
- TS Johnson, CE Terrell, SH Millen, JD Katz, DA Hildeman, and MB Jordan. Etoposide selectively ablates activated T cells to control the immunoregulatory disorder hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Journal of Immunology 192(1):89-91 (2014).
- SH Millen, OD Schneider, WE Miller, JJ Monaco, and AA Weiss. Pertussis Toxin B-Pentamer Mediates Intercellular Transfer of Membrane Proteins and Lipids. PLOS ONE 8(9):e72885 Sept 3(2013).
- OD Schneider, SH Millen, AA Weiss, and WE Miller. Mechanistic insight into pertussis toxin and lectin signaling using T-cells engineered to express a CD8α/CD3ζ chimeric receptor. Biochemistry 51(20):4126-37 (2012).
- SH Millen, DM Lewallen, AB Herr, SS Iyer, and AA Weiss. Identification and characterization of the carbohydrate ligands recognized by pertussis toxin via a glycan microarray and surface plasmon resonance. Biochemistry. 49(28):5954-67 (2010).
- SH Millen, DI Bernstein, B Connelly, JI Ward, SJ Chang, and AA Weiss. Antibody-mediated Neutralization of Pertussis Toxin-induced Mitogenicity of Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. Infection and Immunology 72(1):615-20 (2004).
- AA Weiss, AK Patton, SH Millen, SJ Chang, JI Ward, and DI Bernstein. Acellular Pertussis Vaccines and Complement Killing of Bordetella pertussis. Infection and Immunology 72(12):7346-51 (2004).