The Village of Yellow Springs
Where Creative Thinkers and Innovation Flourish
Antioch’s home is the village of Yellow Springs. “Since it began, Yellow Springs has been known as a small town where creative thinking and innovation flourish. Villagers, influenced by the presence of Antioch College, have also been known for their activism and spirit of social responsibility. So it’s not surprising that in recent years, many Yellow Springers have been thinking creatively about how to live in environmentally sustainable ways.” – Diane Chiddister, Editor of the Yellow Springs News
A village of just under 4,000 people, Yellow Springs is a small progressive hamlet in the heart of southwest Ohio’s Miami Township.
The community is culturally diverse, values self-expression and prides itself on being open, friendly and creative. Recently Yellow Springs was named one of the “Best Hometowns” by Ohio Magazine and one of Budget Travel’s “Coolest Small Towns.”
The yellow spring from which the village gets its name was discovered around 1800 and quickly became a major attraction for those seeking its “curative” waters. For more than 100 years, the village was a popular attraction with hotels, spas, boarding houses, and a tavern to serve travelers on the nearby stagecoach road. With the completion of the Little Miami Railroad in 1846, Yellow Springs became the center of trade and recreation for the region.
Today, visitors flock to Yellow Springs for shopping, dining and recreation. The downtown offers a rich and rare assortment of shops and restaurants as well as live music and theater, a chamber music series, interesting galleries and a first-run art-film movie theater. Rich visual and performing arts abound in this vibrant community of artists.
Supplemented with information from The Yellow Springs Chamber of Commerce.
Yellow Springs, “Everyone’s Favorite Place”
For updated information about what’s going on in Yellow Springs, visit https://www.yellowspringsohio.org/things-to-do/ or check out the list below.
Arts & Culture
- Little Arts Theater- A historical landmark of Yellow Springs featuring inspiring entertainment. Film projects by students of Antioch College have even premiered here.
- Yellow Springs Street Fair- Happens on the second Saturday in June and October. Featuring entertainment, street performances, fine arts & crafts, and unique vendors of all sorts. Thousands flock to the region for this popular street festival. Antioch students typically host booths or manage parking for the festival as a fundraiser.
- Chester Springs Studio- A nationally recognized home for the visual arts. Offers adult art classes and workshops.
Nature & Recreation
- Glen Helen- Located right behind campus and once owned by Antioch College. Over 15 miles of trails and a raptor center. Offers regularly scheduled outdoor education programming.
- John Bryan- Located within walking distance from campus. A state park known for its remarkable gorge. John Bryan offers options for camping and outdoor programming.
- Little Miami Bike Trail- Part of the nation’s largest biking network, a picturesque trail running along the river and through downtown Yellow Springs.
- Sunrise Cafe- Walking distance from campus, Sunrise Cafe prides themselves on local “from scratch” cooking and sustainable sourcing. A popular brunch destination and #1 on Tripadvisor.
- Calypso Grill & Smokehouse- Walking distance from campus. Authentic Latin-Caribbean cuisine with dine-in, carry-out, and delivery. Known for its amazing Jerk Chicken.
- Peach’s Grill- Walking distance from campus. BBQ & Tex Mex influences. Known for its open mic nights and homemade spinach artichoke dip.
- Ye Olde Trail Tavern- Walking distance from campus. Take a step back in time to the early 1800s with American fare & local and imported brews.
- Aahar India- Walking distance from campus, Aahar India specializes in authentic, convenient, and freshly prepared Indian food.
- Winds- Walking distance from campus and boasts a European-inspired, seasonal menu. Perfect for a special occasion or date night.
- Lucky Dragon- Walking distance from campus and “the best Chinese & Asian food in Yellow Springs”. Known for high quality at an affordable price.
- Miguel’s Tacos- Walking distance from campus- food truck. Authentic Mexican cuisine.
- Bentino’s- Walking distance from campus. An independent pizzeria with high quality ingredients and reasonable prices.
- Ellie’s Restaurant- Walking distance from campus inside the Mills Park Hotel. Known for porch seating & baked goods.
- Current Cuisine- Walking distance from campus. Known for gourmet sandwiches and pastries. Offers local catering services.
- Emporium Wines & Underdog Cafe- Walking distance from campus. An extensive selection of wine and beer with coffee and breakfast offerings. A campus favorite for coffee!
- Young’s Dairy- A short drive from campus. A local dairy farm offering farm-crafted goods including ice cream and downhome favorites like burgers, fries, and cheese curds. Once you get some ice cream, play putt-putt or visit the goats in the petting zoo!
- Corner Cone- Walking distance from campus. “World famous” with a full-range of soft serve treat options.
Places of worship in Yellow Springs:
1. Central Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
411 South High Street Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
2. St. Paul Catholic Church
308 Phillips Street (at Elm) Yellow Springs, OH 45387
3. First Baptist Church
600 Dayton Street Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
4. First Presbyterian Church
314 Xenia Ave, No.1
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
5. Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
2884 U.S. Route 68 S Yellow Springs, OH 45387
6. Masjid al-Madina (Miami Valley Islamic Association)
1800 South Burnett Road Springfield, Ohio 45505
7. Yellow Springs Baha’i Community
502 Dayton Street Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
8. Masjid An-Nur
743 W. Liberty Street Springfield, Ohio 45506
9. Pleasant Grove Missionary Church
491 W. Hyde Road Yellow Springs, OH 45387
10. Rocky Point Chapel
3928 Old Mill Road Yellow Springs, OH 45502
11. Yellow Springs United Methodist Church
202 South Winter Street Yellow Springs, OH 45387