The Archives and Special Collections of Antioch College
Antiochiana began in 1905 as a collection of historical artifacts gathered by librarian Bessie L. Totten (1876-1963), Antioch College class of 1900.
The term “Antiochiana” first appeared in 1898, when The Antiochian, Antioch’s oldest continuously published periodical, first reported a non-circulating section of the library where “not a book is to be found there, whose author is not either an Antiochian or one who has been connected with the college, or whose subject concerns the college history.” Miss Totten, who began her long Antioch career as Assistant Librarian in 1900, recalled how the librarian told her to take special care of these books, and she began to expand the collection. Miss Totten assumed the title of Curator of Antiochiana upon retiring in 1941, which she held until her death in 1963. Remarkably, in its century of existence Antiochiana has had only four directors.
In 1983, the Olive Kettering Library was designated as the official overseer of the Antioch archives, with authority to develop policies for retention and housing of documents and historical materials.
The centerpieces of Antiochiana’s collections are the papers of Antioch College’s two most dynamic past presidents, Horace Mann and Arthur Morgan, and the extensive Bahnsen negative collection.
Antiochiana is located on the second floor of the Olive Kettering Library.
The archives are currently accessible to the public by appointment only. Learn more.
Songs From the Stacks
Historical perspectives and selections from the archives by archivist Scott Sanders.
By Scott Sanders, Antioch College Archivist The statue of Horace Mann, first president of Antioch College, was erected in 1936 on a site in Glen Helen that was once part of Mann’s farm by Hugh Taylor Birch, class of 1869, as part of a national celebration marking the...
Seasons greetings, Antiochians! What follows appeared in the very first issue of the earliest College publication in Antiochiana, not to mention the earliest known account of an Antioch Christmas break. Though unattributed, the article has the literary stamp of a...
Community Creativity and Commemoration: Remarks by RS Fogarty by Scott Sanders, Archivist at Antioch College. Antioch College lost a shining academic star when Robert Stephen Fogarty died in August 2021. Having retired from teaching in 2004 and editing The Antioch...
The House of the Fiery Ferns by Scott Sanders, Antioch College Archivist Harold Igo, a playwright of some note, lived in Yellow Springs in the mid-20th century. He is said to have gathered stories of haunted houses in the village while serving as a part time mail...
Beginning in 1839, both as a way to edify women with little access to higher education and as a source of revenue, Margaret Fuller began to hold her now famous “conversations.”
The November 1946 Board of Trustees meeting included a presentation on the educational program in race relations at Antioch College with comments from students, including Nina Hamilton Anthony, sister of the famous novelist, Virginia Hamilton.
For 100 years, a central component of Antioch’s progressive education model has been its flagship Cooperative Education (Co-op) Program, the first to be established as a core component in an undergraduate liberal arts program.